A dictionary is a reference book containing an alphabetical list of words, with information given for each word, typically including meaning, pronunciation, and etymology.
There are different types of dictionaries, they can be:
- General dictionaries: that include words from different fields and subjects.
- Bilingual dictionaries: that are used to translate words from one language to another.
- Thesauruses: that provide synonyms and antonyms of words.
- Etymological dictionaries: that provide the origin and history of a word.
- Specialized dictionaries: that focus on a specific field such as medical, legal or technical terms.
Dictionaries are widely used by students, writers, educators, and anyone looking to improve their vocabulary or to find the meaning of a specific word.